More times than not, we look at our symptoms and get wrapped around the concepts of identification. Since anyone with an illness has it to a varying degree, where does it fit in with you, and do you actually “have it”. What people sometimes fail to realize is that even though you can’t see a disorder doesn’t mean it isn’t there.
Here are some books and facts about some disorders, if anything stands out to you, don’t be afraid to talk to a doctor or health care professional for information. You are you, not your disorder:
Saving Francesca – YA Fiction Marchetta, M
When We Collided [AWARDS] – YA Fiction Lord, E
All the Bright Places – YA Fiction Niven, J
The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl – Find on eMedia Library
- Depression is more than just sadness; it’s a loss of joy for your favorite activity, it’s a random feeling of guilt or worthlessness, it’s feeling too exhausted to get up even after you got a good night’s rest.
- 5% of the US Population has Seasonal Depression; where you tend to have the symptoms of depression beginning in the fall and going until early Spring.
If you think you may have Depression, feel free to take this short quiz. Just remember that this is a free, online quiz and doesn’t mean it’s 100% accurate:
Every Exquisite Thing – YA Fiction Quick, M
Fangirl – YA Fiction Rowell, R
The Rest of Us Just Live Here– YA Fiction Ness, P
They Both Die at the End – YA Fiction Silvera, A
Finding Audrey – YA Fiction Kinsella, S
Highly Illogical Behavior [AWARDS] – YA Fiction Whaley, J
Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel – YA Fiction Emmich, V
- 25% of 13-18 year olds are affected by Anxiety.
- More females than males are affected by Anxiety Disorders.
- People with Anxiety Disorders tend to also develop Depression.
- People who have or are treated for ADHD may also develop an
If you think you may have an Anxiety Disorder, feel free to take this quiz. Just remember that not all free online quizzes are 100% accurate:
- On average people who are diagnosed with OCD are about 19 years old.
- There are two forms of OCD: Obsessions, insistent urges that require something to be a specific standard (i.e. Cleanliness and Germs), and Compulsions, tasks people need to do to void out the Obsession (i.e. Perform action three times, because three is a safe number).
If you think you may have OCD, feel free to take this short quiz. Just remember that this is an online, free quiz and this may not be completely 100% accurate:
- Approximately 30 million people in US have an eating disorder.
- Eating disorders affect people of all genders, ages, races,
ethnicities, body shapes and weights, sexual orientations, and
- There are six common types of eating disorder: Anorexia Nervosa (individuals who believe to be overweight and must become thinner), Bulimia Nervosa (individuals who overeat in short periods), Binge Eating Disorder (Individuals who eat large amounts of food in short periods, however these individuals do not purge after eating), Pica (Individuals who crave and eat non-food substances – ice, dirt, chalk, soap, etc), Rumination Disorder (Individuals will regurgitate their previous meal and either spit it out, or reswallow it), and Avoidant or Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (Individuals will undereat either due to uninterest in food, or disgust in how certain foods smell, taste, feel, or look).
If you think you, or someone you know may have an Eating Disorder, feel free to take this quiz. Just remember that this is an online, free quiz and may not be 100% accurate:
- Mania, a form of Bipolar Disorder, is the high-energy side of the disorder. Individuals can be euphoric or irritable, taking more high-risk behaviors, or sleeping and eating too little.
If you think you may have Bipolar Disorder, feel free to take this short quiz. Just remember that not all free, online quizzes are 100% accurate:
- Schizophrenia often involves a variety of symptoms, but not one involves multiple personalities. This myth likely originated because the word “schizo” means split—however, in this case, it refers to gaps (or a splitting) in a person’s ability to think and express emotions.
If you think you may have Schizophrenia, feel free to take this short quiz. Just remember that not all free, online quizzes are 100% accurate:
- Children who experience abuse, neglect, or molestation are also highly susceptible to PTSD sometime in their lifetime.
If you think you may have PTSD, feel free to take this short quiz. Just remember that not all free, online quizzes are accurate:
[Facts from aedweb.com, mentalhealthamerica.com, psychologytoday.com, dosomething.org, psychcentral.com, suicidology.org]